IP 41 Law and Justice 1 Course Development
Unit 5: Use of Force
- Course Weight: 5%
- Hours of Instruction: 8 +/-
- Course Assessment Questions: 5
- Standard: The Learner will be able to understand the use of force (RBT: B2)
- Discuss appropriate use of force in self-defense situations.
- Explain proper use of pain as a motivator to compliance.
- Discuss the fundamentals of self-defense.
- Explain skills in the lower and intermediate levels of force use.
- Identify less-than-lethal force options.
- Explain various locks, holds, and arm bars.
- Apply the use of force continuum to given scenarios.
- Feel free to use my plans as a guide. My course is based on 52 minute class periods. My students in the first year course are 9th or 10th graders. These materials may need updating. Be sure to check web links.
- This is our first “lab” where the kids get on the mats, so we spend some time going over rules.
- We have access to a FATS machine – which has made the unit much more interesting
- I have tons of videos – feel free to add your own. Note – some have profanity.
- 1 – Notes
- 2 – Notes
- 3 – Notes
- 4 – Media: Deadly Force (or similar media)
- 5 – Lab, Introduction to lab and introduction to force
- 6 – Lab on Basic Control Holds
- 7 – Lab on Basic Control Holds
- 8 – Lab with media: Deadly Force Decisions (or similar media)
- 9 – Assessment, Finish Deadly Force Decisions (or similar media)
All the files I used in the this unit can be viewed and downloaded. To print, be sure to download first.
For Use of Force Unit Click Here
Texas Education Agency has online teacher materials for Texas courses. Click Here
- Unit 8: 12 Use of Force
Others – all free
- Use of Force – not sure of the author, but the info is still good. Click Here
- Use of Force Lesson Plan – not sure of the author, but a good lesson plan. Click Here
- Use of Force media from FLETC, old but good.