are proud to
now offer the
What are the benefits of becoming a Certified Youth Instructor?
- You will demonstrate your commitment to the highest standards of education excellence.
- You will receive a certificate suitable for framing.
- Your instructional bio and photo will be posted on the LAPSEN & IADLEST Certified Youth Instructor webpage.
- You will receive access to IADLEST’s National Law Enforcement Academy Resource Center with links to current training, news about trends in law enforcement education, lesson plans, instructor resources, and articles related to law enforcement training and education.
- You will receive a Certified Youth Instructor lapel pin.
- You will become eligible ot join the LAPSEN Training and Technical Assistance Group (TTAG) at no extra cost.
- You may use the Certified Youth Instructor (CYI) acronym on your business cards, letterhead, etc.
What are the Requirements to become a Certified Youth Instructor?
Complete the IADLEST/LAPSEN Certified Youth Instructor Application. You may download the application form here:
- Submit a current resume outlining your specific law enforcement teaching and curriculum development law enforcement experience indicating more than three (3) years of teaching experience in the law enforcement/public safety field as pertains to youth (ages 14-20).
- Include an instructional bio, not to exceed 500 words, and a professional photo. These items will be displayed on the IADLEST CYI Instructor webpage after certification is granted.
- Submit an endorsement from your School Principal, Program Director or a Law Enforcement Administrator OR three (3) letters of recommendation from Law Enforcement CEOs attesting to your skills and abilities as a youth instructor. They will be contacted as a part of the verification process.
- Submit one lesson plan that you have developed, modified or used that can be shared with other instructors around the country.
- Pay a $50 application fee. ($40 for renewals) Initial certification and renewals are for a term of two years.
If you have questions about the certification program you may contact Leah Besonen via EMAIL, or phone: 208-288-5491
Wall of Fame – Certififed Youth Instructors
Caroline has served with the Suffolk Co. PD in Yaphank NY for over 25 years. In addition to teaching general LE topics she has taught DT/Martial Arts to women, seniors and youths. She created and conducted two Stranger Danger and Bullying seminars for youths 8-15 years old. As Youth Academy Coordinator she has conducted 14 youth academies.
International Association of Directors of Law Enforcement Standards and Training (IADLEST)
IADLEST is a national organization of training agencies. Your state’s POST is most likely an active member.
IADLEST’s mission is to support the innovative development of professional standards in public safety through research, development, collaboration and sharing of information, to assist states and international partners with establishing effective and defensible standards for the employment and training of public safety personnel.
IADLEST is an association of standards and training managers and leaders. Its primary focus is criminal justice standards and training. To the extent that the focus and the values promoted thereby can be furthered and shared, all training professionals are welcome as members.
Learn more about IADLEST – Click Here