IP 41 Law and Justice 1 Course Development
Unit 7: Patrol Operations
- Course Weight: 7%
- Hours of Instruction: 11 +/-
- Course Assessment Questions: 7
- Standard: The Learner will be able to understand patrol operations (RBT: B2)
- Explain the different types of patrol used
- Describe the Kansas City Experiment as well as more recent trends in patrol
- Explain the risks associated with traffic stops.
- Discuss how an officer should approach a vehicle in an unknown risk traffic stop.
- Formulate a plan for how officers should respond to a high risk traffic stop scenario
- Feel free to use my plans as a guide. My course is based on 52 minute class periods.
- My students in the first year course are 9th or 10th graders.
- These materials may need updating. Be sure to check web links.
- I use chapters from some old textbooks I had – Introduction to Policing by Dempsey/Forst. Any readings on patrol as an introduction would suffice. I have some suggestions in additional resources.
- I have used ALERT videos for some time. They will work a good deal for school programs. The videos below are from ALERT. http://alert45.com
- For my pullover lab the local PD sends the traffic unit over. They really enjoy working with my students, but it took some time to get them comfortable with do it.
- 1 – Read Chapters 7 & 8 from Introduction to Policing 3rd Edition (Dempsey/Forst).
- 2 – Complete readings
- 3 – Notes
- 4 – Notes
- 5 – Notes
- 6 – Notes
- 7 – Media: ALERT Traffic Stops Unknown Risk (31:50), quiz, discuss/demo
- 8 – Media: ALERT Traffic Stops High Risk (26:50), quiz, discuss/demo
- 9 – Pullover Lab
- 10 – Pullover Lab
- 11 – Review
- 12 – Game Show
- 13 – Test
All the files I used in the this unit can be viewed and downloaded. To print, be sure to download first. Click Here.
Offers free online content for teachers. Registration required.
- Traffic Stop Procedures Click Here
Texas Education Agency has online teacher materials for Texas courses.
- Unit 12: Traffic Stops & Unit 15: Patrol Techniques Click Here
- Patrol Techniques Lesson Plan from TEA (older) Click Here